There have been numerous comments about Christian themes appearing in the new Superman movie, Man of Steel, and some of the connections are obvious. For example, Superman is 33 years-old in the film; the same age as Jesus when he died. However, there are other subtler similarities, too.
For the sake of Faith and Fun, I’m going to name my top 5 favorite Christ – Superman moments:
5) Superman’s human foster father (Kevin Costner) says, “Clark, you are my son. But somewhere out there you have another father who gave you another name.” Jesus also had a human foster father, Joseph, and his true father, God, gave him another name, Emmanuel. ( Matthew 1:23)
4) Jor-El says Superman’s mission is to “be a light for mankind…they will stumble, but they will follow.” Sound familiar? Christ says, “I am the light of the world. They who follow me will have the light of life.”
3) Superman has X-ray vision and can see inside of people. Jesus, son of the All-Seeing God, can see into people’s hearts and know the true nature of their souls. (John 2:23-25)
2) Superman surrenders himself to mankind (who he is supposed to save). They, in turn, hand him over to Zod, a foreign invader. Christ, the savior of the Chosen People, the Jews, surrenders himself to them, and they hand him over to the Romans, a foreign invader.
1) My Favorite: When Superman is deciding whether or not to reveal himself to humanity, he goes into a church. Right behind him is a stain-glass window of Jesus in the Garden of Olives (where He made His big decision). Christ just happens to be wearing a RED SASH that looks a lot like a cape.
Take a look and see if you can notice more on your own.